Sunday, April 21, 2013

Chapter Five

(Background Information:) The choosing ceremony begins when the kids are lined up in alphabetical order and called up, one by one, in reverse alphabetical order. When your name is called, you walk to the center of the stage and cut your hand with a knife. On the stage, there are five circles, one for each faction; in order for you to be apart of a faction you have to sprinkle the blood from your hand into a specific circle. Then, you have to pass initiation to be officially that member.

There is a lot of weight on her decision as a faction. This one decision changes her life forever and I feel like I can connect to that. It seems like everything I do for school now is going to have an effect on which college I go to, and depending on which college I go to could potentially change my life completely. A lot of teachers are putting weight on the fact of knowing what you want to do and where you want to go for college, but I have zero clue about any one of those things. It's just scary that people around me have it all figured out, when I barely know a field that I would choose.

The factions were chosen long ago, to stop wars, and each faction has a different belief on what caused discord between people.
People who blamed Aggression became Amity.
People who blamed Ignorance became Erudite.
People who blamed Duplicity became Candor.
People who blamed Selfishness became Abnegation.
And finally, people who blamed Cowardice became Dauntless.

Beatrice is scared at the thought of leaving her family, only because family's become repulsed to the children who switch and, the family's have one chance to visit, but most don't because they are so disappointed.

First Beatrice's brother is called, Caleb, and he goes up to the stage and picks Erudite. What? Beatrice was always convinced that he was Abnegation, from the moment he was born. He was always selfless and never thought for himself. At this moment Beatrice is positive that she will pick Abnegation, just for her family's sake.

Beatrice is called and when she goes up to the stage and cuts her hand, her blood drips on the carpet. I thought that: that would make her factionless or Divergent, because technically she wouldn't have a specific faction. Maybe nobody saw her blood drip? But then she shoves her hand over to Dauntless. As she looks over at her family she sees that her dad is in disbelief and very sad, but she thinks she sees a slight smile on her mother's face.

One final thought I had was, If your family doesn't accept and let you be yourself than, they're not really your family at all, are they?

"My blood drips onto the carpet between the two bowls. Then, with a gasp I can't contain, I shift my hand forward, and my blood sizzles on the coals. I am selfish. I am brave."

2 comments:

  1. I was thinking about your final thought about family acceptance and I started thinking about all the people who "disown" their family members because of their religious choices, or relationship choices, or sexual preferences. There are a lot of families that shun their family members due to choice. Do you think they are truly family?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I don't think that those people are truly family. I believe that family are the people who love and accept you for exactly who you are. They will support you and always stay by your side, no matter what. Whether it's blood-related family or a family of friends; the people who love and support you unconditionally, are the people that are truly your family in the end.

    ReplyDelete