Sunday, May 19, 2013

Chapter Thirty

Tris is taking a very logical approach to her Fear Landscape, something that I feel a lot of us in TAG would.(: She is taking her fears and turning them into something comparable to a science experiment. Tris is solving what her fears mean and doing the opposite in order to calm herself down; she's realizing that she doesn't have to relinquish control. Examples of her accomplishments are...

-Figuring out her fear of birds is the lack of control or power and then shooting a gun in order to regain power. This works very quickly.
-Drowning is the fear of weakness, so she convinces herself that she is strong enough to break the glass. Although, she thinks she wastes too much time on this obstacle.
-The water thrashing against her is another simulation for a lack of control but she doesn't control this one, she just fights it until she can have control again.

Then she discovers the new fears that she hasn't practiced before. This one, she is being burned at the stake by Peter and the other initiates so she outsmarts it and forces rain to come.
Her next fear is the strange, faceless men and the one murderer from the paper in her first simulation, coming into her bedroom from Abnegation and trying to kidnap her. This would be the hardest fear for me to deal with because it's like something out of scary movies and I feel like I can make it personal to myself because I've seen it before.
She is all alone with Tobias and it turns out she is scared of intimacy. That's a little awkward...
Her final fear is that she's been held up at gun point by Jeanine and at the last second, she decides to be selfless and save her family by letting Jeanine shoot her. Then it's all over.

"Thunder roars above my head, and I scream as a flame touches my fingertips and pain shrieks over my skin. I tilt my head back and focus on the clouds gathering above my head, heavy with rain, dark with rain. A line of lightning sprawls over the sky and I feel the first drop on my forehead. "





No comments:

Post a Comment