Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Chapter Twenty-four

The next day, Tris is abruptly awoken by Cristina and they are all rushed out to the Pit. It was shown that Al had thrown himself over the chasm. People were commenting and talking about how this happens to one initiate every year; like they're practically used to it! So that means that once, every year, someone in Dauntless decides to end their life or one of the Dauntless leaders decides to end their lives for them... Suicide is something that people should never be used to. It is always awful when a person decides to take their own life. I'm not here to preach my decision on it or talk about my personal experiences but I just know that going through that on a regular bases, like the people in Dauntless, will eventually become desensitized. This is where it becomes dangerous, because the fact that they are celebrating suicide, makes it more likely that people will do it. I agree with Tris in the fact that it isn't right to encourage people to act that way. They should take it seriously and try to reduce the effects in their factions.
Don't be afraid to help.

When we were talking in class about whether a brave person never gives up, or if a brave person recognizes the strengths of others, I feel like the subject of Al killing himself ties into this. Although I do believe that a brave person never gives up, I don't think that backing out of one fight is giving up; I see it as giving yourself a time to improve and become stronger enough to be able to win in another aspect, later on. In some way, I also feel as if Al gave up. I am not here to judge, and I try to respect the choices of others no matter what, but in a sense; Al gave up. He decided that he couldn't fight anymore and I don't believe that that's brave, I think that it was cowardice.

Tris leaves because she can't handle the celebrating and Four follows her. She says that this would have never happened in Abnegation, like she'd rather be there. Four warns her and tells her that they're watching her in particular. That would put so much pressure on me if I was told that! I would screw up even more knowing that eyes are one me!

He also explains that peoples intentions is all that the Dauntless care about. She starts talking about how he's mean to her and he explains that it's only because he wants to see that flare in her; he wants to push her. This results in an actual hug and after she cries about Al's death being her fault, he gives her a kiss on the head!!!!(:

"No, was. That was death-shifting from "is" to "was.""

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do agree about the tragedy of Al's death, but do you wonder if it really was a suicide, though? Remember how the method for picking off Divergent people was throwing them into the chasm, and then calling it suicide? I know Al didn't show Divergent tendencies, but who says that they won't kill off non-divergents this way, too. I have a feeling that something far more sinister is wrapped up in all of this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They had no reason to kill Al though, he was doing poorly in the initiation stages, so he was already going to become factionless. The Dauntless already knew he was weak so, although I do believe something more might be sinister, I just don't see their reasoning.

    ReplyDelete